Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Knitting and I'll never be your grandmother

My family loves to laugh when I tell them I've been knitting. They sort of snort and then inevitably ask, "Are you seventy?" The nice ones don't say anything at all, just change the subject to "so, how's Jefferson doing?"

Frankly, I'm not surprised by this reaction. For gods sake, these people CHOOSE to live in Georgia. What can you expect from the nation's most uneducated, underenthused state?

I digress.

I've been amazed at what is out there in the knitting world and all the really cool, innovative things people are doing with the fiber-arts. Afghans made out of various scenes in Super Mario World, shawls made to look like stained glass, knitted biology experiments, toys, socks, and of course, couture-worthy sweaters that are truly one-of-a-kind.

I'm in the rudimentary stages of getting acquainted with knitting. I've been knitting for two years and have created about as many projects as can fit on one hand. My ignorance of knitting techniques (which I'm actively remedying) coupled with a very worrisome inability to focus on one task combine to give me a very low efficiency rating. I'm working on it!

Presently, I'm knitting a scarf for my Auntie-in-law Simone. We will be visiting Simone and her husband Charlie in Victoria, BC this summer. I thought it would be a nice thank-you -for-putting-us-up gift. I'm ultra-excited about the trip actually. We'll be taking Amtrak to Seattle (a 3.5 hour voyage) spending two nights in a B&B there and then catching a ferry to Victoria. Three hours on the Puget Sound in July sounds just about heavenly! Then two days in Victoria.

Now, the question is, is there something I can knit and take with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment